Saturday, January 5

this year

I actually don't make alot of fuss when it comes to the New Year. I suppose we often think of it as some sort of a fresh start. Maybe we feel that it's appropriate that we make a new beginning when our calendar resets at January... But when it comes down to the actual thing, I don't really think think there's anything special about it. Each 'New Year' seems to flow in seamlessly from the previous year like how any other day would. Nothing so grand about that. I reckon that it doesn't take a 'New Year' to make things special. It's really a matter of what you make thing to be. Every and any day could be special if you wanted it to be so.

***

Well, I arrived in Singapore missing the first day of Orientation for this year's freshmen - which wouldn't have been any of a deal if I wasn't an Orientation Group Leader. Considering that and that fact that I had barely any sleep that night, I came to school that day quite disorientated myself. Changes had been made to the programme, I had been reallocated to a different orientation group and I was dead tired. But, I still had a good time... It's roughly the same stuff, noise over noise, everyone getting on highs.

I'm not totally for all this Orientation jazz really. It has it's pros, I guess; It's a good platform to step out on, both for the leaders and freshmen. I suppose it's even more beneficial for people like me, who usually lean towards the quiet and shy type. But I also feel that the whole ecstatic effects of Orientation can be quite misleading. It's very much like being physically intoxicated. After the highs are over, you only go down. Another thing is that it creates the impression of close bonds which, really, are quite superficial. I remember thinking that my class was awfully close and well bonded especially after having a heck of a time during our second orientation. We were all ra ra ra. But then after a while when spirits waned, the 'bonds' that held us ever so close didn't seem to hold. Same went for many friendships made during Orientation. I reckon friendships need alot more time than that to be built up, though the hype of Orientation gives the illusion of otherwise.

Everything with a pinch of salt, I guess.


***

Alien Versus Predator II is really bad. Don't watch it.

No comments: