Friday, April 25

i'm boring that way.

It is a usual Friday morning. On a particular fifty-three - a fairly packed fifty-three as morning crowds always pack it to be - the bus driver opens the doors to a good supply of patrons in good-willed civility. Naturally, the bus's capacity is pushed to its limit; But he insists. "Hou mian yi dian," move in! Those fortunate enough to get on the bus, quietly oblige. An extra old lady manages to compress herself into the vehicle. "Hou mian yi dian, hou mian yi dian," move in, move in! he cries; The old lady joins in, dishing out Chinese words of fierce sensibility to the poor boy who had saved too much space for himself. The other patrons wait in silence. The boy moves what few centimeters he could. The old lady now noisily pushes her way through, scolding that Malay boy for being so silly as she finds her place in a curiously empty seat. She grumbles, rather loudly, to her neighbors, justifying her proclamations to the bus, though no one acknowledges. Finally, when she had satisfied her rantive urges, she settles down, shaking her head to herself while the standard criticisms of today's youth ran through her mind...

11 comments:

sally said...

hahahahaha omg i found that hilarious i can`t stop laughing.

emtonmi said...

:)

Anonymous said...

what does emtonmi mean?

emtonmi said...

Emtonmi is everything that I am, and all that I'm not.

Jin said...

Heh. Is that a smart response or what?

Anonymous said...

actually, it's nothing at all what you are. lol.

emtonmi said...

Hejin: Is that rhetorical?

Chris: Why not? All that I've wrriten here is under name Emtonmi, but they all relate to me, my feelings, my life and my thoughts. How then, would using a different name, make that any less of me? Am I just a name?

Yet many things here are too, fabricated, idealized, and - I quote my friend - "dramatized". So does these count as a part of me too?

Like it or not, how I exist within this space is what I am, and am not at the same time.

This just crossed my mind: Does what we are NOT define who we are?

Jin said...

According to something I read, "identities are constructed through, not outside, difference. It is only through the relation of what it is not, to precisely what it lacks, can identity be constructed." That's from er, Identity: A Reader, if you're interested.

It could mean that we are defined by who we are not. But it's a rather unsettling thought to know that we are just NOT-*insert adjectives*.

emtonmi said...

I think that philosophy applies to identification in general.

Like, we only know the colour blue as it is because it not another colour, which is like saying it is not red, yellow, green, etc.. The colour blue is then differentiated by taking bearing from what it is not, and thus we identify it as being blue.

So in that sense it's like saying what is, is defined by what it is not?

Anonymous said...

A straightforward person


you are not
indeed

emtonmi said...

Anonynous: Haha! Yoda, you sound like. Thanks for dropping by anyway.