Saturday, June 14

the wonders of an alphabet!

Well it so happened that on this very gloriously bright and happy day I had indulged in a tad too much of doing too little work, when this astoundingly insightful insight popped into my happy head like a little chirpy chick bursting out of its egg. It dawned upon me in the prettiest hues of sunrise how important alphabets (yes, alphabets!) are to our beautiful world of the English Language! and I, most humbly of course, thought of sharing this wondrous two cents worth of brain-goodies to make the world a richer place (not as if it wasn't already a fabulous world that we live in), even if it was only going to be two cents richer!

Yes, yes, as I was saying, I realized today upon my sinfully lazy ponderings that a single letter could actually change entire meanings of words and subsequently, sentences! ("Fie!" I imagine you say.) It's most true, though, and I shall hence explain: We all know that what we know as "words" are constructed by sounds, of which we replicate through alphabets (it's so much more convenient, is it not?) so that we poor human beings could communicate without having to speak! (Wonderful invention, words are, as I always say.) Ah, but then I realized (on this very blissful morning) that an alphabet in all its singularity could have the mighteous power to alter an entire word into a terrible derailment of meaning because the very presence of an extra letter in or beside a word could (and almost most definitely would!) affect the sound of the word so much as to cause it to change, and in some instances, this forces the word into an explosion of verbal metamorphosis - changing the word into another so explicitly unrelated and, sometimes, of a completely different word-form! (Ah, I can sense your skepticism.)

Let me illustrate (much like how my General Paper tutor always told me: always use examples to justify your claims!):

          He was severe with his scoldings.


Now compare that with,

          He was severed with his scoldings.


Look at that! By the humble augmentation of the word "severe" with a "d" at it's rear end, the sentence takes one a whole new meaning as seen by the subject taking so bloody and vulgar a mutilation in being scolded.

Let's try another one (my tutor is going to be so proud!):

          He was hit by a car.


Against,

          He was shit by a car.


See how the tragic state of the subject in the latter sentence is escalated, multiplied, oh! unbrutally but most hideously intensified with great wretched stenches that pain even the stuffed-noses by the simple addition of an "s"? (I'd rather be knocked flat by any vehicle than be fibrous excrete any day; I'm serious!)

So, as (I dare say) I have explained quite aptly above, alphabets certainly take on an extraordinarily crucial role in the formation of meanings in our vibrant world of verbal communication, and it is thus very, very vital, for us users of this lustrous Language, to be fully appreciative of these little squiggly lines that we so often sing to the tune of sparkling stars and negroid sheep.

5 comments:

axnxg said...

...you spelt 'humbly' wrong.

emtonmi said...

Ahh, thanks. I'm always making spelling errors like that anyway.

ayreus said...

funney lil post perked me up! anws, i feel screwed for mye. gahhhh!

emtonmi said...

Ah, we all are doomed, are we not? (Points to the previous post.)

ayreus said...

yeah, dead meat, indeed...