So I was talking to an old friend about irritability. My irritability, rather. I don't know whether it is fair in any way to consider myself, wholly, as madly combustible or just simple short-fused, but I do grant the fact that I have my bad days and tetchy moments. More specifically, I thought I was aware of what annoyed me... My conclusion was that these petulant responses of mine were purely irrational, mostly due to the fact that I was able to rationalize why I shouldn't be agitated by the occurrence of X type of events while being annoyed by them all the same.
But then - all in a sudden one night - I had a big fat moment of revelation: I realized that my irritability was not that irrational after all. My theory is that another problem of mine, a long unresolved conflict, was the real reason behind it all. That problem was the first cause of frustration. It was borne of miscommunication, pride, distortions of expectations - the everyday household thing. This being unresolved for ever so long just made matters worse. It then came to a point where any subtle, unconscious reminder of the issue, or the nature of it thereof, would cause me to fluster. And just like this my two problems merged into one, as if they had secretly eloped and married to become one; or rather, one of my problems was doped, had one-night stand and conceived a condemned child, of which I only just found out about.
Mathematically speaking, one plus one wasn't equal to two, but one; now I have one less problem to resolve. This said, a better understanding of the problem at hand is only an understanding. Solving it would be the next obvious step to take. But how to go about doing that, I have not much of a clue left. I suppose I shall just sit under a random fruit tree for now and wait for more epiphanies to fall on my head.
2 comments:
epiphanic? is there really such a word? i so totally didn't know that. your technical expertise in the english language seems to have grown exponentially eh jonny?
=p
Ah yes. I read the dictionary every night before I go to bed.
=P back at you.
Post a Comment