Friday, October 3

the businessman

The man was standing by the sidewalk that led from the bus interchange up to the train station. He stood by the edge, facing the flow of bodies like the magazines booths, or the occasional fruit vendors do, dressed fairly decently in his polo and pants. He must've been past his forties, doing business of course. He had his right hand stretched out, in which he jingled some coins, semi-arrhythmically, like the different paces that different passer-bys walked to. That was just a trick to annoy attention out of people. On the other hand, was no hand. But, what really got the customers looking was the invisible sign that was propped up somewhere beside him, which read, "PLEASE GIVE ME MONEY BECAUSE I ONLY HAVE ONE HAND."

It was cheap, easy business.

2 comments:

labs said...

"On the other hand, was no hand."


Best sentence you've ever written.


LOL.

emtonmi said...

Thanks - I like it too! For a moment after posting it I wasn't sure if it sounded good, but your response was confirmation enough.