What luck, I thought to myself, to get a seat in the train so quickly after boarding. On a Saturday! and having barely passed one stop. Such fortune did not come so often, so quickly to everyone everyday. A sporty-looking lady in funky sport shoes had vacated her place right in front of me. Alighting at the next station, I presumed. I grabbed the opportunity without hesitation; my ride was due for another twenty mintues or so. Any seat would be well appreciated. The morning's run and the book waiting for me in my bag had made such an offer even more irresistible.
However, just as I settled in — just — funky sport shoes lady started staring back at me with strange ferocity. Only then did I see the smallish old man standing to the left. He was beyond my view from where I was previously standing.
"Oh. Uh, did you want to..."
I fizzled off. My mumbling sounded so pathetic. And awkward. Sporty lady was still glaring. I immediately switched to Chinese mode and offered the seat to the senior. Lai, uncle, zhuo. Take a seat, I said. He took it, smiling quite excessively, spewing many thank-yous.
So I resumed my original position, and quickly took out my book. By then, I saw through the corner of my eye, staring sporty lady in funky sport shoes was deep in a virtual conversation, fiercely punching the keys of her handphone, and did not alight when the train had stopped.
Saturday, April 25
on the train this morning,
Labels:
Short Stories
No comments:
Post a Comment