Saturday, May 9

forget freud.

I woke up this morning
hating my father
I don't remember what he did
or why
but he was unreasonable
as fathers sometimes are
enforcing illogical authority
that his fathering me had entitled
and that I was, perforce,
to obey
His speech was only "nay" and "no more",
then steadfast silence
that was unyielding to my demands
for explaination
There was pained frustation
a building of a burn inside me
It was unfair
Unfair
I respected Reason, not him
There was no way to love
unquestionable irrationability
And all in that moment I felt hate
and hate with more passion than I had
ever felt before
Then,
breaking sleep
I woke up this morning
hating my father
not knowing if it was
the dream stirring the sentiment
or the buried sentiment, the dream.

1 comment:

jacq said...

I hate irrationality too. There's no arguing with stubborn parents, even if it is well-reasoned arguments. They just say "because I am your mother!"

When I have kids, I am going to teach them to argue with me.