With an initiative that came from nowhere, he twisted to face the back, where I was sitting, and nudged his sketchbook of sorts in my direction. I leaned forward to get better look.
"It's just something I came up with," he said, almost straining to sound casual. He repressed a smug smile before I had even seen it. I could tell: Inside, he was beaming.
As to what the drawing really was, I could not tell. There were some faces in succession with captions or speech tags, fashioned with the intent, I suspect, of some comic effect. But the artistry itself was too indistinct, and plain for all the melodrama he had injected into its presentation — quite comparable to that of seven year-old girls'? (from whom his drawings always gained much admiration.) Otherwise, the effort put in was fully eighteen year-old.
I looked back at him.
His smirk was still hanging off his face, and his too-long neck seemed crooked at an awkward angle. He was waiting for me to look impressed, and I wanted a camera so badly. I made a snapshot in my mind.
"Oh," I replied, flatly. That was the best I could reciprocate without scoffing. I eased myself back into a slouch and tried to compensate by pressing my lips together in attempt to appear comtemplative.
It must have been his best sketch yet.
Tuesday, September 22
we all deserve trophies.
Labels:
Short Stories
No comments:
Post a Comment