Sunday, August 8

history the mystery

Here I am, here, today
looking at a mist that is yesterday
reaching out, into it
hoping to grab onto
something
Hoping
to catch a piece of who
I am supposed to be
Hoping
I make a blind swipe
and hit nothing solid-
My hand making an empty swoop
and my heart sinking aghast
Like that odd falling feeling
of missing a step
with the disappointment
or frustration of a dysmetriac
Maybe I will learn it
the way my ancestors did:
Time will have to tell me
who- what-
how I am to be
And when I am that
I will know what I was
since I had no context
no history
no place
Yet here I am, here
I am, now,
in the shining light of today
standing full-bodied and
solid
in this present while,
in this day, today
and I will learn what is is
learn what is am
and what is be
so that I can stand in
the full glory of it
stand as a person complete
a person with his own name
and his own place albeit
with none the knowledge
and lesser the words to describe them

2 comments:

jacq said...

your existential crisis manifested in a wordy confused poem


nice line: 'frustration of a dysmetriac'

emtonmi said...

Hm. It was meant to refer to my identity crisis actually... I suppose I can sort of see now how it can seem existantial with the use of the is/ am/ be thing. It's my fault for being vague in this poem anyway.

In what way do you find it confused, though? The last part of the poem was meant to be a resolution.


PS: I'm planning to edit some bits, or just add in some lines so your critique would be useful.