So the time has come again where my inspiration and creativity lies defeated (to time, to being tired, to stress?), but my urge to write still lives, hence forcing me into a re-evaluation of the purpose of my writing. Let us lay out the objectives.
1. The first and original aim of this blog was, and still is (probably more now than before), a process of self-discovery. By keeping a journal of what I deemed as more important thoughts, I could somehow track my own psycological progess and see how I have developed as a person. Putting it online was just a matter of convenience. And encouraging voyeurism, of course.
Thinking back now, this was, actually, the only objective I had in mind when I opened my blog. Just a search for myself and nothing more.
However, if you have looked through my archives, that was not all my posts came to be.
2. It became, (partly), a study of society. I began to "deviate" from my sole intention and starting blogging about society through my eyes. Most of the posts of that nature tended to discuss changes, or the what I thought was silly about society's views. It is likely due to the latter, that my posts later began to take on a more satirical and mocking flavour. Yet, it does not stop here, to say that my objective was just to record my worldview. True that it still relates back to my first intention, because such posts reflect my thought processes, but it took another step.
3. I want to advocate thought. This is something I have probably been most conscious of for the longest time and it is, I believe, very hard to develop. On the other hand, this aspect also provides me the most immediate satisfaction. I would like to believe my skills in achieving this has improved (I am assuming here), especially since moving to this space that I now write in, and also because I have gained a keener sense of an audience. I very often try to develop my thoughts and emotions in my posts and attempt to deliver them in a certain complexity by creating layers of movements and meanings. My success in achieving this is uncertain, but that is what the comment box is there for. It is an opening for you, dear reader, to challenge and question what I write.
4. Now this last objective is something I recently realised that is achieved in the pursuit of the first three - by writing out my thoughts, I also affirm who I am. By the very act of thinking, of challenging my own thoughts and by expressing them to you, I am also growing as a person - by discovering or deciding my own identity - then asserting that personality as myself to you. I am offering a more private side of me, one who probably would not be seen face to face. As such, this person who you now see, virtually, purely terms of thoughts and emotions, is as much a way of establishing myself in your perspective, as it is in mine.
And just to give this post a more conclusive end, I must add that with all these objectives aside, writing has been very enjoyable for me. The entire development of the posts, editting them, pressing the "publish" button, and even receiving your comments (when I do). Whether or not they were well-written or as enjoyable for you as they were for me, I leave it to you to decide. Thank you.
2 comments:
He was a lonely ghost uttering a truth that nobody would hear. But so long as he uttered it, in some obscure way the continuity was not broken.
So said another drifting spirit who, empathizing, also, knew his pain.
Post a Comment