Monday, September 22

an angry man is a foolish man.

Is it wrong to be angry? It is, like sadness, a forbidden feeling. Like a secret sin. The public eye must shun it with stares if it were exposed. Or is that merely the inability to compose any proper reaction? That they fear that their own hidden feelings might, too, come loose? But, why? Maybe it is bad. It is bad to be angry. Because, like sadness, anger is the suspension of reason. You become vulnerable, unstable. You are in danger to say, "I feel", and mean it.

Perhaps what we really fear is the power if anger. Anger brings change; it is inspiration far more powerful than melancholy. And, unlike sadness, it is unpoetic. It is a wild, ravenous monster, violent, strong. Unrelenting. It is a murderous instinct which makes us Kings of the Beasts.

Maybe we hate anger because it great strength, not wise.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny, I was just reading up on anger management. Anger is anti-social, therefore not acceptable. And contrary to popular belief, 'venting' your anger by, say, punching your pillow, is not gonna make you less angry. As you said, it is a ravenous monster: when we are angry, we naturally respond with aggression. And it is the anti-thesis of reason. To make anger disappear there's only one way - to rationalise and to discover the root of it.

Hee heee I just gave you a pop psychology lecture.

And no, it is not wrong to be angry. But it is wrong to act rashly on angry feelings.

emtonmi said...

Hmmm, that's interesting... I never thought of describing anger as anti-social, but it's quite apt.

Anyway, this post was meant to rationalize my anger. I eventually came to the same conclusion on anger too: "it is not wrong to be angry. But it is wrong to act rashly on angry feelings."

(This comment function thinggy on blogs just makes blogging more worthwhile!)

Thanks for the mini-lecture!

Anonymous said...

Welcome gladly. And btw, writing nonsense is a good way to experiment LOL. Don't be afraid to be creative with essays. Lit critics write all sorts of rubbish all the time. Some teachers just got no imagination.

emtonmi said...

Haha, sadly it isn't about creativity this time. My language momentarily failed (or fails?) me during exams, so what I wrote really was nonsense.

Anonymous said...

Tell me about it, I get really incoherent at panicked moments :(