On two occasions, I passed by another recruit in public, dressed in 'Civilian'. It was in the moment we crossed paths when we both caught the other's attention. Somehow the eye contact established seemed to extend much longer than what is socially acceptable by the usual standard - especially considering the fact we were compete strangers. Regardless, it felt like more than a look was exchanged. It was a scan, perhaps to identify me, or with me. There was a mutual understanding, a shared sympathy for how pathetic a weekend we had to make do with. Or so it might have been. But one thing we had confirmed in our own heads was that we had been reduced to the same hairless mass, stamped with the same mark, bound by the same imperatives. We are like legal borderline skinheads, removed from society - Recruits.
There was nothing homoerotic about the stare, by the way.
4 comments:
"There was nothing homoerotic about the stare, by the way."
well you could've had me fooled! :D
"There was nothing homoerotic about the stare, by the way."
tsk... so defensive.
Jacqueline: Hahaha eerrr. I think I was being overly conscious when I wrote that, but yeah.. I had to be sure nobody had funny ideas.
hi jon i always knew you had gay tendencies.
-melkang
Post a Comment